I just finished an art commission I'm extremely proud of. I received the request from Etsy and once I heard it, I immediately accepted the challenge.
The requestor was buying it for a couple expecting their first child. They were doing the nursery in a "Rescuers" motif, including framed animation cels from the film. She asked me to create a new piece to add to the collection. They also wanted their last names (Zagel) incorporated into it somehow.
So I decided I wanted to make something that looked as if it couldn't been taken from the movie itself. I drew out the Bianca and Bernard characters using my usual inking method and flat colors. And the background is a more detailed digital painting. I used a lot of movie still photos as reference to try to get the look and feel right. I also thought it'd be cute to show the two characters with their own little mouse baby.
I've played around with Photoshop brushes off and on, but this was my first real attempt at a full painting. It's got some real issues and I have a long way to go, but I'm so proud of the outcome. I think it feels exactly the way I'd envisioned it, which doesn't happen often.
It's going in the mail tomorrow, and I really hope the recipients love it. The Rescuers is one of my all-time favorites, and it was a ton of fun to do.
Here's the sketch:
And here's the painted background:
And finally, the finished piece:
Also, I'm super excited that I finally bit the bullet and enrolled in the Oatley Academy of Concept Art and Illustration. It's an 18-month, go-at-your-own-pace course taught by a former disney concept artist. I only was able to watch the first lesson on lighting prior to trying this piece, but it helped tremendously. Can't wait to get better at this.